Division protection and enhancement of the territory and natural capital
“Natural capital” plays a key role in development, as it provides resources and services, defines the ecological limits of socio-economic systems and at the same time mitigates the impacts/effects of human activities. In this context, the Division operates through the Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services Laboratory and the Observations and Measurements for Environment and Climate Laboratory.
• development of methodologies and technologies for environmental characterisation, pro- tection and remediation of terrestrial, river, marine and transitional environments;
- definition of the cognitive and strategic framework for the development and protection of ecosystems and natural resources, for the reduction of vulnerability, mitigation of effects and adaptation to change;
- implementation of studies and experiments to predict and assess the impacts of climate change on ecosystems and their resilience;
- support to public administrations for the definition of national regulations and the applica- tion/reception of European directives, for the development of strategies for environmental management;
- participation in international networks for the building of infrastructure and services for the environment;
- collaboration with enterprises for the development of prototypes and innovative tools for environmental observation, protection and remediation;
- development of biotechnologies for cultural heritage and bioremediation of contaminated environments.